Book Hippo

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Between Tweens - Middle Grade Author Sandy Carlson

This is the second week of Between Tweens. If you read the last week, you'll be familiar with the questions. These are Sandy's answers.


S.L. Carlson is a former elementary teacher, singer, and adventurer. She's been a member of SCBWI since 2009. Her first MG fantasy, Star Opening, came out last fall. Her tween fantasy, War Unicorn, is set to be released this summer with Muse It Young.

 1. Please give us an idea of what your story is about from your main character's perspective. I found a stupid ring buried in the ground and now this rude unicorn feels like she’s the boss of me. Take her to the king? Well, which king? There are many. (from Reginald in War Unicorn)
2. How long was the process for this book, like how long from idea to finish did it take? From writing the first sentence(which changed a few times) to sending back the editor’s revision notes, War Unicorn has taken about five years in the making.
3. Do you write in the mornings or evenings or whenever you like? I never get to write whenever I like. I write when our one and only computer is free and when I’m doing the gazillion things I’ve committed to.
4. Do you have an ambition to write a paper novel some day? I sure do. And I have done so. I've published 4 books with The Merry Viking Publishing House, and someday hope to have War Unicorn also in print.
5. What do you like about MuseItUp Publishing? Hands down, the answer to that question has to be the people. From the editors to the fellow authors. There is much encouragement and cheering on. I’m delighted to be part of the family.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting story that deserves to be in print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the MIU people are the best! Great interview, ladies.

    ReplyDelete