Book Hippo

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Between Tweens - Middle-Grade Author Heather Fraser Brainerd

Hi all. This week, and the next two weeks following, I will be posting interviews in a series called Between Tween. There are four of us, myself, Heather Brainerd, Sandy Carlson And Suzanne De Montigny. My upcoming ebook in a tween adventure and the other three are middle-grade authors. In this series we discuss our books and writing experiences.

The Between Tweens concept is that each of us come up with five interview questions, each week we post the answers of one of us until all have been interviewed by the others. The links to the other blog is posted at the bottom. 


Heather Fraser Brainerd has been writing since she was a child. After careers in both the insurance industry and early childhood education, she began writing again. Her published works include the YA paranormal romance Dream Shade and the first two books in the José Picada, PI series, Deception Al Dente and The Sound of Sirens. The José series, which is paranormal mystery for grown-ups, is co-written by Heather's brother, David Fraser. Heather and David's first MG novel, Shadows of New York, will be released in 2014.

Here's the interview

Please give us an idea of what your story is about from your main character's perspective.
In Shadows of New York, Josh Cooper is tired of getting new nannies all the time. His mom is pretty picky, though, so he doesn’t really have a choice. This time something is different: the new nanny is a dude. This surprise, however, pales in comparison to the supernatural secret that the male nanny – or “manny” – shares with Josh.

Press ? for keyboard shortcuts.


How long was the process for this book, like how long from idea to finish did it take?
Oh my gosh, that’s a good question! I think it took a couple of years. My brother David Fraser and I co-wrote Shadows of New York. During the process, we published two other books together, Dave published a short story, I published a novel, Dave started writing a novel that’s almost done, and we wrote another novel together. So it’s been a busy couple of years.

Do you write in the mornings or evenings or whenever you like?
I write whenever I can find time, which usually tends to be mid-day.

Do you have an ambition to write a paper novel some day?
Actually, I think that Shadows of New York would be great in print.

What do you like about MuseItUp Publishing?
 I love the people! It’s such a supportive, creative environment. When I signed on with MIU, I had no idea that it would lead to friendships all over the world. What a blessing that has been!



Here are some links you can find Heather's books at.








 http://www.sandycarlson.com/

http://suzannesthoughtsfortheday.blogspot.ca

 http://drivingblindproductions.wordpress.com

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me, Madeleine! BTW, I love that my interview showed up with a random blank space - it's SO me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, "Shadows of New York" sounds like an interesting book. Will look forward to reading it.

    Ladies, I like your blog hop! Fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Dave and I really enjoyed writing it. :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for bringing this talented author to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised this is the first time I'm hearing about Shadows of New York -- I believe I would have recalled it if I did, b/c I'm intrigued by the premise! It sounds so different.
    Good luck ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is kind of the introduction of Shadows of New York. :)
      We're still in the editing stage, but it should release some time this summer. Thanks for your comment, Loren. I'm glad you're intrigued!

      Delete
  6. Wow, Heather. You and your brother are both so prolific. Very inspiring. Fun interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kai! We have a lot of fun writing together. :)

    ReplyDelete