Book Hippo

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Horse Wimperer

I love animals. When I was a girl my favorite was dogs but I had a special place for horses. Not that I knew anything about them. All I knew I read in tween books for 'horsey' people.

I didn't actually ride that much and as I look back, I don't know why. In White Rock, BC, just a little way beyond the city limits was a riding stable. Unlike in Ontario, you could rent a horse without knowing how to ride.

At $5.00 an hour, it was a good deal. That, of course, is 1960's $5.00, which is I don't know how much in today's terms. Anyway, I went there once with a girl I knew from school. She knew how to ride and took the lead horse. I took the horse that they said always followed the lead horse.

She told me that horses know when you don't know how to ride and will try things. "Just show them who's boss." She said to me. Well, the horse was boss.

As soon as we got out of sight of the barn, my horse stopped and began to feed on grass. I kicked and kicked, my friend was tiffed at me. "Just make it do it." No way. The horse was happy chomping away.

I decided to get off and pull it along just to get it going. As soon as my foot hit the ground, the horse began to trot off. I jumped back on and it kept going.

"You don't know how to ride at all, do you?" She asked. I had told her that I did. All those horsey books had affected me. I had to confess I didn't know anything but tried to save things by saying. "I thought I did." Whatever.

I never did learn to ride horses. I thought I might learn when I came to Ontario but here the horse stables are way outside the city, you need a car and I've never learned to drive. Also, it cost $20.00 an hour.

But I still like horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment