Book Hippo

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Techno-Trog

I'm a techno-trog. Really. It's only recently I learned, or got it in my skull, what an operating system is and I'm not sure what it's operating. I don't have a clue how a computer works. I know it has a 'language' of 1s and 2s.

I know that a lot of people can take advantage of people like me who know nothing. One thing, though, is that I remember a long time ago when I was a teen being told the statistics of work. 80% of people hated their jobs.

What does this have to do with the computer and internet? Well, nowadays, statistics are reversed and 80% of people love their jobs. What changed?

I believe it is the internet and computers. Take say, a detective. In the old days, one gets a fingerprint and has to go through hundreds of fingerprint cards to find the perpetrator if he's even there. Nowadays there's a website with just fingerprints. APHIS, I think it's called.

The detective simply puts several points of the fingerprints on the screen and any matches come up in about seven minutes. How good it must make a cop feel to know his work will most probably pay off.

Of course for writers, there's the fact that they can now type without mistakes and go back and forth with their manuscripts. Write one section, then cut and paste it where you want it. That way, when you have a fresh idea, you can get to it right away. No more, "I hate writing but love having written"> Most of my fellow writers just love writing.

There's so many ways the internet and computers have made jobs easier and more satisfactory. Looking up a file from the computer. No more filing mistakes or hours on your knees for the bottom drawer. Everyone's information is at a fingertip.

People, who like to help people, are now able to do it at the stroke of an ENTER. Bringing up whatever file they have on a person and so can look up the whole history of interactions with clients.

80% is pretty good  for satisfaction. Maybe the next invention will make job hating obsolete.

1 comment:

  1. The computer does make writing so much easier, but unfortunately now everyone seems to be writing a book.

    ReplyDelete