Book Hippo

Monday, November 5, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

Ugh. What an awful Halloween. There were hardly any kids out as it was raining. This was entirely Sandy's evening. Rain, rain, rain. Costumes ruined. But still some kids went out. I guess as long as the little ones find some fun, it's okay. Once we get older, we tend to forget how much fun a child can have with next to nothing.

Our city here of Ottawa is in a good location. We had a really bad earthquake a couple of years ago but we miss most of the devastation that other places seem to have. Certainly we're nowhere near the horrendous damage of the Eastern Seaboard of the USA.

Hurricane Katrina was just eight hours of rain when it hit here. There was flooding but not much.

When I first moved here I thought Ottawa had bad weather but the winter is no longer six months of -20 degrees Celsius but a nice -10, which I can handle well. I didn't even need any mitts last year.

But Sandy has got me worried. My room mate is always watching science shows on television. I know from them that the earth has gone through phases of extreme weather. Two hundred and fifty mile an hour winds and rains that cause rivers to rise by fifty feet.

The cause, they say, is global warming and they add, there is going to be a lot of extreme weather coming our way again. So when something like Sandy happens, I wonder if this is the start of it and if we all have to be worried all the time now for these storms. One per year is one too many.

Bikes instead of cars and other things are what they tell us we can do about it but since I don't drive, I don't know what I can do personally.

I guess we all have to be on our guard from now on and try to help out in any way we can. I'm going to paste a message from MuseItUp leader Lea Schizas;
 
MuseItUp Publishing may be a Canadian house but our authors come from all over the world, especially the United States where Sandy has caused horrific damage to our neighbours.

For the entire month of November, with any purchase made from our MuseItUp Bookstore, we will donate 10% of the purchase price to the Red Cross toward the devastation caused by Sandy. On behalf of all of us at MuseItUp Publishing we'd like to thank you for your support.


1 comment:

  1. I think most people are aware of the terrible changing weather patterns. It's downright scary.

    Sandy and Katrina brought reality home hard.

    The earthquakes, the tsunamis we have read about in the last few years and other natural disasters is cause for worry.

    What is happening to our planet?

    ReplyDelete