Book Hippo

Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Beauty Beast

It's just a fact of nature that women want to be beautiful. But I do think that we've gone a bit too far in this age. I don't know who set the standards for what is beautiful, I suppose all cultures have their standard, but in a world where there are all types of people, I don't see why there is one standard for beauty.

Whenever I meet women who are trying to conform, I like to ask them a question. If the genetic doctors could come up with a shot that would make your baby look exactly like Angelina Jolie, would you take it? How about a room full of pregnant women. Would they want all their daughters to look exactly the same? Carbon copy babies. The answer is always no. They want to see their baby, what she will look like and will love her just the way she is.

So why, I ask, don't you want that for yourself? Why do you want fuller lips, bigger eyes? Don't you want to look like yourself, a combination of your mother and father? What's wrong with a flat chest anyway? Who said it couldn't be beautiful?

Who is that masked man who is setting these standards?

I have seen women I think are beautiful with big, crooked noses or really tall women that were quite striking. What's wrong with unconventional beauty?

I guess I'm asking a  lot of questions but I don't know how it came to be that straight noses, thin legs, big hair and boobs became THE ONLY way to be beautiful. A world where everyone is a carbon copy of Angelina Jolie? Not that I don't like her or her movies, but, no thanks, I just want to be the way I am.

The Mountain City Bronzes at MuseItUp Publishing
 http://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=249&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

1 comment:

  1. Hi Madeleine. Got your blog link for Blog-A-Licious (Peace from Pieces) on 12 July and today but please note that the site is only updated every Wednesday so your link will be added this Wednesday, 18 July 2012.

    ReplyDelete